ONAT n.a. O.S. Popov took part in the work of WTD Conference of International Telecommunication Union
Vice-rector for scientific work of O.S. Popov ONAT Kaptur V.A. participated in the work of the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC) of the International Telecommunication Union held in Buenos Aires (Argentina) on October 9-20, 2017.
WTDC-17 is a high-level event organized once every four years with a purpose to regard and discuss issues that will determine the future policy and strategy of the telecommunications development, as well as the directions and basic principles of the ITU Telecommunication Development Sector operation for the next four-year period.
This year’s conference brought together more than 1600 representatives from ITU member states: ICT leaders, representatives of international organizations, academics and entrepreneurs.
Among the main results of WTDC-17, which were achieved with the participation of O.S. Popov ONAT, should be noted:
– preparation of the updated content of the Issue 1/1 of the Development Sector on the basis of the O.S. Popov ONAT contribution taking into account the contributions of the United States, Mexico, Oman, Intel Corporation and other interested parties. As a result of the work, an updated terms of reference on the Issue “Strategies and policies for the deployment of broadband networks in developing countries” was prepared, which included all aspects of the development of broadband access. After conducting all necessary consultations and approvals within the working group, the document was approved by the WTDC-17 Plenary Meeting without comments;
– putting amendments to the Resolution 67 of the WTDC “The Role of the ITU Telecommunication Development Sector in the Child Online Protection”. Related suggestions of O.S. Popov ONAT concerning the financial support of the TDB for the translation of educational materials on the children protection on the Internet to all official languages of the ITU was included into the text of the Resolution after discussion within the relevant working group;
– putting amendments to the Resolution 71 of the WTDC “Strengthening cooperation between Member States, Sector Members, Associate Members and academic organizations of the ITU Telecommunication Development Sector, including the private sector”. Related suggestions of O.S. Popov ONAT concerning the need to develop a comprehensive strategy for increasing the motivation of membership in the Development Sector for new and existing ITU-D members was included in the text of the Resolution after discussion within the relevant working group;
– putting amendments to the Resolution 81 of the WTDC “Further development of electronic methods of work in the activities of the ITU Telecommunication Development Sector”. Committee 4 of the WTDC-17, and later the Plenary Session approved the text of the Resolution 81 of the WTDC in the edition offered by O.S. Popov ONAT, including the provisions concerning the further development of videoconferencing systems of regional and zonal ITU departments;
– approval of the content of regional initiatives planned for implementation in the period from 2018 to 2021, based on the suggestions of the Academy, as well as specific projects for their implementation in 2018 within the framework of the ITU Operational Plan.
In addition, during WTDC-17 Kaptur V.A. was re-elected as Vice-Chair of the Study Group 1 of the ITU Development Sector for the second term (research period 2018-2021).
Photo – https://flic.kr/s/aHsm9hUA17
Conference documents (restricted access) – https://www.itu.int/md/D14-WTDC17-171009/sum